Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Queen of something

I have recently developed a keen interest in the edgy, pop rock music of a California born and raised singer/songwriter, Sara Bareilles.

I first heard her on a local radio station on my morning commute to work, a time when I stuck in traffic some days and can really appreciate good, hummable music. Next, I found myself craving for some 'King of anything' on youtube in the gym to make my workout more fun. And when I got back home, I watched a DVR recording of 'Uncharted' 3 times in a row on Jimmy Kimmel live show. Yup, I'm hooked to her stompy, perky, happy-chic music.
I'll confess that my taste in music is sort of unrefined. I love unpretentious, free spirited, spunky girl music just as much as anyone else(Avril Lavigne, anyone?). What makes Sara Bareilles stand apart is her talented songwriting abilities. Her lyrics are nothing short of spectacular.
Critics have said she "conveys vulnerability and wisdom in lyrics that speak honestly about relationships from a woman's point of view", and that her "writing voice is uniquely her own."
Judge for yourself. Give these a listen and a look. Come back and tell me if you're not hooked onto her voice & music.
'King of anything' with lyrics
'King of anything' LIVE in studio for Billboard
'Uncharted' Jimmy Kimmel LIVE
As far as I'm concerned: I have the 'Kaleidescope Heart' 2010 CD on order as we speak. Move over Joni Mitchell, Sarah McLachlan. Prepare to vacate your thrones.
Alanis Morrissette, you're next.

2 comments:

Megha Bansal said...

OMIGOSH! I love her! I discovered her in an ad a long time ago...'Love Song' has been on some ad lots of years ago.
I love King of anything too.

Have you heard Yeal Naim's New Soul? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YkzQk7zBjA
Tell me what you think.

Akansha said...

@M: I am so tickled to find out you already 'discovered' Ms Bareilles and her genius. She's phenomenal.
In this version of her live performance, she says, "this song is about people who should mind their own fu**ing business".
http://youtu.be/0co33GX9z9E

I met one such dude ("youre so full of good intent") in the community gym at my last apartment. I was on a treadmill running and holding the safety bar. He stopped me, pointed out that "the machine indicates that holding the bars over 4.0 mph is not recommended". Started to give me a lecture on equipment safety and gym best practices. I politely told him that's the only way I know how to run on a treadmill & resumed my unsafe running procedure.
Some people assume it's their duty to correct everyone and "show them the light."
This song made immediate sense to me for that reason. :)