Sunday, August 7, 2011

Three-act 'dealirium'

de·lir·i·um noun \di-ˈlir-ē-əm\
Definition of DELIRIUM
1: an acute mental disturbance characterized by confused thinking and disrupted attention usually accompanied by disordered speech and hallucinations
2: frenzied excitement

This week's post is about our experience at a local playhouse. If you thought it was about me in the madhouse, I'm not quite there yet. :)


Deal Reveal: Groupon tickets for a theater night at Lesher Center for the Arts, the musical: "The Most Happy Fella"


Photo thumbnails:
From HappyFellaLesher

From HappyFellaLesher


Why I bagged it: My love for theater comes from my parents. They are not the type of folks who could admire and understand a Van Gogh, but they have genuine love and wild enthusiasm for any kind of performing arts, theater in particular. I remember the many trips to NSD (National School of Drama, New Delhi), that I took with them to watch plays. Tickets were not too expensive because the performers were students of NSD. Good times.
I learnt to appreciate the beauty of a live performance, where are are no multiple takes like in the movies and everything is "live" and happening in the moment. There is also something very gratifying about a group of people performing something for you and a small audience. It's not a movie reel that runs over and over again and it's not the 10'o'clock "breaking news" that repeats an hour later. I'm lucky to live close to a fantastic playhouse called The Lesher Center for the Arts in Walnut Creek, CA and I drag my poor husband to a play about 4-5 times a year at this location. So last friday morning, when I saw a Groupon for shows at Lesher, I pounced on it. The fact that it was 50% off (theater tickets are pricey, usually $35-40 a piece), made it even better.

Why I loved it:
1. The Price - 2 choices of tickets were available - a pair of Standard $39 (rack rate $49 each), pair of Superior $49 (rack rate $59 each). We bought the standard seating. Cha-ching, cha-ching.
2. Instant Gratification: we didnt have anything planned for our Saturday night outing and the groupon was released on 8/5 for showings on 8/6, 8/9, 8/12, 8/13. Bought yesterday, used today. Now that's a deal.
3. Upgraded seats: I was offered the superior level seating (J row), at the box office because the lady behind the window didnt pay attention to the Groupon fine print. Mo better.
4. My first opera experience, and it didnt hurt one bit: opera conjures the image of a huge kodak-theater type venue, with an older lady, wearing a red velvet gown and heavy make-up, singing a tragic song at a high pitch in Russian. I'm happy to report that this show was quite different. In fact, it was a 20th anniversary of the original opera version, adapted into a light, frothy, lovable musical that is easier to digest and enjoy.
5. With Love, from San Francisco: the musical is set in San Francisco and Napa Valley, which is local and so relatable. My initial guess was they adapt the play to match the city it's playing in. Not so. Wikipedia says that the original was written for the SF location.
6. Show me the subtitles: while common in movies, this is the first play where I saw subtitles. The subtitles screen (see photos) read out the lyrics to all the songs. And since a musical is 95% song, we appreciated the subtitles which helped us understand the story better.

Date of purchase: 08/05/2011
Date of redemption:
08/06/2011
Groupon Deal link:
http://www.groupon.com/deals/gl-festival-opera


Damages:
We spent: $39 for 2 tickets (inclusive of tax)
We would have spent: $59 + $59 + tax + $11.50 ticket internet convenience fee = $130 + tax
We saved = $100-ish bucks

Consumed: an audio/visual three-act feast (the italians refer to them as 'Sposalizio') about a happy-go-lucky, simple man and his mail-order bride featuring a cast of delightful village characters frolicking about in a beautiful Napa vineyard. A beautiful blend of many theatrical elements, in particular, some unforgettable singing talents and an amazing orchestra.

My pick:
look for the 3 exuberant chefs, who break into song and dance at the slightest mention of a "feast". Lovable, lovable and lovable.

Verdict: wicked fun, Super dealight

5 comments:

Sri said...

Wow. Nice deal. Thanks for sharing. I used to ignore Groupon mails. Now no more.

Akansha said...

thanks ! Deal sites are like a treasure hunt to me. A lot of deals are just fluff but some deals are really worth grabbing. More of my (mis)adventures are coming up soon. :)

Megha Bansal said...

How I wished you lived in Dallas or we lived in CA. We love musicals, haven't been to one in 2 years now. LOVE the subtitles! I watch movies I see in the theater a second time on DVD because I missed the dialogues..if the accent was hard to understand, like the new True Grit.

Love the 'King and I' pic :D

Akansha said...

Hi Megha ! I feel the same way yaar.
The play had a song about how cool Dallas is, called "Big D". Made me think of you instantly. It's hilarious.
http://www.allmusicals.com/lyrics/mosthappyfellathe/bigd.htm

doctorgeeta said...

We still go to NSD plays but less frequently now bcos most plays r adaptations of French, Italians or English plays or repeats. In a country with such rich tradition, heritage n literature, where a million stories r born everyday, that's such a shame. But when Bollywood n saas-bahu serials r in vogue, most people find theatre, even at 50 bucks, not such an attractive proposition. Gud u enjoyed!

We find the idea of sub-titles amazing, to say the least. I wish they cud do that in an opera which is just Italian to us.