Sunday, October 12, 2014

Plumbing and pumpkin croissants





























After weeks of earfuls from my husband about a thumping, buzzing, noisy guest bath toilet and considerable run-around from plumbers, Roto-rooter drain experts and our home builder's handyman, I decided to take matters in my own hand.


I've had a very crappy week with my baby's care taker also giving me a run around. Emails and work backlog mounting up at the office. But this Sunday morning I had a moment of personal victory (I actually stretched that to multiple moments of loud cheering, and unbashful bragging).

I woke up at 5.15am, before the babies had a chance to wake up and find me. I meticulously went through 2 pagefuls of instructions to replace the entire fill valve mechanism in the guest bath toilet. Then I redid it because it wasn't adjusted correctly and redid it again 2 more times (this is not literary exaggeration). At 8.45, somewhere between the frustration of tight wall-corners and nuts, bolts and gaskets flying in the air and the crying babies, the whole thing finally worked like nothing was ever broken.




I read somewhere that if women can find a trusty handyman, a husband becomes redundant. I am in no hurry to dispense of my husband, I love him dearly, even with all his redundancy. But I feel truly emancipated that I can pick up a home project and make it happen and take it all the way to the finish-line.

Yes, I am bragging about my victory over a toilet fixture, but I am also teaching my kids that giving up in life is not an option. You can do anything you put your mind to. If an amateur like me can fix a disaster of a toilet, anyone can do anything. 

And then after 10 minutes of vigorously scrubbing my hands clean of the plumbing goop, I got them really clean and baked some pumpkin croissants for breakfast, to celebrate fall weather and pumpkin season.


Ladies, we are superheroes. I'm 100% convinced. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. 
Go me !!!

No comments: