Monday, June 25, 2012

Download 50% complete

If you didn’t already know this, you know it now – I’m pregnant and I’m loving it. One week after valentine’s day this year, S and I found out we’re having a baby this coming October. We have been on a wild ride ever since.
Once I got over the shock of possibly having a Halloween baby, the weekly countdown to the finish line started. I've been gushing over friends' babies nonstop and day-dreaming about my own. 
This week marks week # 23 of 40. Being one of the most impatient people I know, that is just a tad past halfway point. I get so antsy when I see a “50% complete” on the screen, waiting for a huge app to download on a slow connection. Now multiply that by 100 and you’ll know how anxious I am to meet my little peanut. This human gestation period of 40 weeks is a heck of a long time (37 weeks is considered full-term, though). Someone needs to figure out how to make this go quicker. If we can come up with instant oatmeal and 2-minute noodles, we can figure out how to do 2-week babies, people! :)

Last week was the first time I felt the baby kicking. It starts out like a little tickle on the inside of your tummy. Almost feels like fluttering your eyelashes on your hand as you blink. What a wonderful sensation! Some women describe it as feeling gas from drinking too much soda, or little fish swimming around in your tummy or popcorn popping. 
Note to my unborn child: With all due respect to the savvy moms who have already blazed the mommy trail, your mom knows that those aren’t any fish or popcorn or gas in there. It’s my little flutterbug. I know you’re kicking around and exploring the space to find more room and discover the warm spots. Thank you for fluttering around and letting me know that you are alive and kicking! Get comfy in there – however long this download takes and however slow the connection is, we’re in this for the long haul. Have all the fun you want, but be nice and stay put until week # 37. Can’t wait to see you !

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Akansha... I am so excited for you! Trust me you need those 40 weeks to prepare yourself for your life to change like never before. Enjoy those flutters and wait for them to turn into hard little kicks! Your baby will be here before you know it and then almost 2 years old before you blink -- like my little one :-) Take good care of yourself.

Akansha said...

^ Please let me know who left me this comment !??! Thanks for the encouragement. :)

Sumedha said...

Congratulations Akansha! This is great news - I am so happy for S and you. I'm sure you'll make fantastic parents. Enjoy the trip :D

Loved your post - nicely done :)

Akansha said...

Thank you sumedha - your comment is a great boost for my confidence. <3

Lecture-rhymer said...

I wish I could express over the phone or online the AMOUNT of excitement i am feeling ... I guess I'll have to show it in person..soon! :) :)

Congratulations! a thousand times over!!

pam said...

Great news Akansha!your wonderful words took me down the memory lane.rest assured u will never regret trading your freedom for motherhood. BEST WISHES ! Parul

Akansha said...

Thanks Chhavi & Parul for your lovely comments. Miss you !

Megha Bansal said...

woohoo!!! can't wait to read more pregnancy stuff and all the things you'll do to prepare for the little bundle of joy. Congrats akansha and saurabh. you guys will make wonderful parents.

Akansha said...

thank you Megha ! Will do !