Monday, November 2, 2020

The 40-year old virgin

Okay, guilty of the clickbait title. It's been a year since my last blog, so I needed something to "prop" up my post. Pun intended, keep reading.

I left India right after college in 2003. And I never had the chance to cast a vote. Whether it was related to age, voter registration paperwork or not being an election year, I don't remember. Once I was in America, I started that journey from immigrant to resident, which has been the past 15 years of my life. Then in mid 2019, I had to opportunity of being sworn in as an American citizen with my husband. A life changing experience for both of us, we finally earned the right and privilege to call ourselves American. From being born into the largest democracy in the world, to living in the greatest one, I have never had the opportunity to play my part in either democracy.

I'm super prepared this time, people. I've done my homework: I've keenly watched both of the presidential debates, the vice-presidential debate, presidential rallies, studied all 12 of the California 2020 ballot propositions, looked at a sample ballot on Ballotpedia.com, you name it.

2020 has been a tough year. Be it COVID, helping kids with remote-learning or turning 40 (the worst); it's been a year of one crisis after another. But as I explain to my second grader trying to decide between Halloween costumes, asking me why there are villain costumes sold at all: there is no value in being a hero without having villains to overcome. You cant appreciate a sunny day without a cold, cloudy one. You cant appreciate a 2019 without a 2020. Like everyone who has lived in a democracy, I have questioned the entire concept of democracy countless times, when there were times of political or social unrest, a pandemic escalating out of control, schools shut down until further notice, peoples' jobs and lives hanging in the balance. But I know in my heart that growing up and living in a democracy, being free to live my life, making my choices is a privilege and a responsibility. Casting that first vote, gives me the butterflies. On the eve of the 2020 election day, I feel empowered, excited and hopeful about the future; however dismal the present may be.

Cannot wait to pop that cherry. :)

Go vote !

No comments: